What is top dressing or organic lawn dressing?
Top dressing, or lawn dressing, is the practice of spreading a combination of sand, soil and compost over the surface of your lawn to add back the organic material lost over time, or perhaps removed during construction.
Most yards, especially in newer areas, have very little living soil. Living soil has millions and even billions of living microorganisms that enrich the soil by converting plant material and debris into the rich nutrients required for plants like your grass to grow and flourish.
Top Dressing Benefits
Top dressing is an easy way to add back that organic material missing from your lawn and provide a foundation for rich healthy growth. Some of the benefits of organic lawn dressing are:
- Organic material is added to the lawn
- Builds up soil flora
- Combined with aeration places organic matter deeper in the soil
- Changes the topsoil structure for the better
- Reduces lawn and grass diseases
- Reduces foot traffic stress
- Relieves soil compaction problems
- Helps with water retention
- Reduces the need for fertilizers
- Reduces thatch
Top Dressing Service
S & S Property Service provides the best top dressing/organic lawn dressing service in the greater Des Moines area. There are a number of steps we take to ensure the maximum amount of benefit for your lawn and our process can be easily tailored for your budget.
Top Dressing Steps
The steps of the process are important as well as the order in which they are performed. Our top dressing program includes the following steps:
- Aerate the lawn
- Mow the lawn as low as possible
- Remove grass clippings and thatch debris
- Spread top dressing to ¼ to ½ inch depth
- Brush grass with backside of a rake to smooth if needed
- Overseed if desired and keep moist by watering
We would love to sit down with you and answer your questions about organic lawn dressing for your yard and providing you with a free estimate on the cost. If you are in the greater Des Moines, Iowa area call us or contact us through this website.